Sunday, January 13, 2008

the world really is a small place

Today was my Nana's 88th birthday. We drove out to Laidley to have lunch for her birthday along with some of my Aunties and Uncles. I think it's been about 8 years since we all got together like this - and that was for Nana's 80th Birthday (although back then mostly everyone was there unlike this time around). To say I see my relatives very little is an understatement.

But it's pretty much always been that way. I could walk past some of my cousins on the street and wouldn't know it was them - actually I have done this my mum came back from talking to someone in a store once and when I asked who that had been she looked at me funny and said "that was your cousin."

My one wish for my nieces and my own children (if I have them) is that they do know each other and have that family connection. I missed not knowing my 'family' in that way, which was a real shame, after all we all lived in the same city (Ipswich), it wasn't like my fathers family who where scattered across the country (whom also for the most part I wouldn't know from a bar of soap now days - but did in my childhood have a much closer bond with although we never really saw them - funny really).

So any way getting back on track. I got to talk to one of my Auntie Sandra - about cameras as I had my 40d with me and she is thinking of upgrading to an SLR. She started to talk about how at Christmas they had been with friends and they had shown her all sorts of things that she could do with her camera that she hadn't known about.. she then went on to mention that her friends daughter was a wedding photographer, and a few minutes later she mentioned the daughter by name - Toni. I turned and then asked "what's their last name?" My Auntie replied "Snell." I laughed.

You see, Richard - the photographer who's website I did - whom with his wife Megan are godparents to the four girls (my nieces) - and my sister and brother in law being godparents to his twins - actually works with Toni Snell at times as a second shooter.

I even read Toni's blog from time to time and have commented on their twice.

So yes I thought it rather interesting in just how small the world can be at times.

1 comment:

Dee said...

Spins you out when things like that happen.
All Lauren's cousins are in NZ which makes me a little sad that she won't get to have that sort of relationship. Neither of D's brothers have kids yet.

Although we saw family a bit, all my cousins were grown up when I was little so I had none around my age to play with which also sucked.