Tuesday, January 1, 2008

new year, new camera......

Okay so we all know that I'm crazy right?!

Well in a few short months I have gone from never owning a digital camera to now owning TWO digital Cameras!!

My 40d is now having to share my affections with one of it's brothers... introducing my Canon SX100 IS isn't he cute?

Okay so you're all looking at me like I've lost it now. Why did I buy a new camera when I have such a kick ass baby as my 40d you ask.... well you see I love my baby and want to take care of her and keep her safe. But I also wanted to free myself up more to take photos on the 'fly' - when I'm walking to the shops, or going out somewhere... and as much as I love my 40d she's not really an 'everyday' kind of girl. I couldn't just throw her in the bag and take her out when the water looked a bit off - no she has to stay home and be 'safe'. And there was the other fact of if I got so use to having her on me all the time there would be more of a chance for me to one day put her down and forget her as I'd be just use to having her there and not give her a second thought. (and trust me that IS a big likelihood - just ask my umbrella's, mp3 player and sunglasses - ohh and the occasional shopping bag!)

I'm planning to get more involved this year in the whole 'photo thing' as one of my goals this year is to have a better understanding and 'hit' rate with my baby. I want to know what I'm doing and how to get the shoots I want, and to spend less time 'fixing' in photoshop - or deleting! So one of my plans is to try my hand at the whole 365 photo project. To take a photo each day and to use that as a tool to put the things I read and learn into practice.

My Sx isn't just a 'standard' point and shot, he does have a host of settings (P, Av, Tv, M) that let me control the outcomes of what I'm shooting. I did look around at other models/brands but in the end the SX felt 'right' and also was a really great price.

So far the biggest things that I'm finding I have to adjust to is actually using the back screen (there is no viewfinder on the SX at all) and that I don't have a strap to put around my neck. It was actually very 'strange' to be handling a camera and not have the feel of something on the back of my neck!

So here is my first photo for the 365 photo project -

so that's it for now with the photo equipment - not buying anything new now until I have a job, and even then a new computer is kind of at the top of the list.

PS. If you want to check out Flickr - I have added a set for the 365 project and also added in some new photos of the girls from christmas - only 10 of the 320 that I took while visiting!

I hope you all had a wonderful start to 2008!! Can't wait to see what this year will bring you all!!

1 comment:

Sara Pearcy said...

Oooh, another chance to say NOICE! I know what you mean about wanting a little point&shoot. I love my tiny camera.... just not as much as the big one, of course!

Don't know if I could cope without a view-finder, though. Looking at the screen is so unnatural!!