Monday, September 18, 2006

A Little bit controversial

Okay this has been something that has been on my mind the last few days... and reading Amy's post tonight about blatant scraplifts and them not being credited.... it made me have a little bit of a rant on a topic that is on my mind...

Now let me firstly say I will not give details on this - I'm not pointing any fingers at all this is something a little general based on something that I thought was a possible thing...

I was looking a little more closely at some scrap templates the other day, I'm so sick of seeing these things and just trying to get accustom to them so I can stop being so ARGH when I see them. I have admitted to not being a fan of them and I think I have worked out even more why - it's because I like originality and creativity - people who impress me the most are those who always come out with things that I always sit back and go "wow why didn't I think of doing that" ... Dani Mogstad is a big example of this - her layouts always have something on them that make me sit back and go 'wow' that's very creative! ...

now back to my rant.... So yes looking more at them .. and you know what MORE then once I looked at a template and went "Where have I seen that before?" - I started to wonder how many of these designs are being 'lifted' from people layouts [both digi and paper] I think the reason why it go my attention is that more often then not it was a paper layout I would be thinking of when I was hit by the "Where have I see that before?" ...

Now I know there is very little room for "oringinatlity" and things will look the 'same' but ... where is the line?? And ya know it is HIGHLY possible that you could trawl the gallery for layouts to turn into templates ...... or what about taking sketches and making these into the template files? I know Bree is doing this with hers - which is perfectly alright as they are her sketches in the first place - but what about some other desinger using one of Bree's sketches as a template - or a becky Higgns one??? - Is this RIGHT?!?

My next ? is the fact - Do these template created layouts publishable? Should they be submitted?? I'm sure this could be a very arguable topic - and I guess in many cases it's very hard to say yes or no to - but for me right of the top of my head ... I wouldn't publish any thing that was made with a template. But then maybe this is because I see the template as someone else layout design - While yes you may pick the elements and paper pieces that go on the page - You are still following someone else design - like if you where scraplifting a layout or following a scrap class at a shop - same as I would never expect a 'class' layout to be published for this reason [that you're following someone else design - not your own] I think the same applies to templates....

Maybe I'm crossing some line by saying this - I know templates are great ways to get an album done or get out of scrap block and not everyone wants to be published....

But yes - they really have gotten under my skin and I'm really starting to wonder about how these things are going to play out down the track.......

6 comments:

Jodie said...

Love the new blinkie :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, I have had many of the same concerns about templates. I saw one template that was almost exactly like a previous layout I had done...but I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and realize that is is possible for two people to come up with very similar designs.

That said, I do enjoy using templates, but I try to use them sparingly. And personally, I would never submit a layout using a template for publication.

Lisa said...

Yep, ditto what you said!! I have actually used a template once just to try it and see, and wont be going back to them. I enjoy the creative process of agnosing over the design! I love being able to say this is 100% my original creation :) I have heard that the TOU of some templates dont allow for you to submit for publication anyway. But not having a whole stash Im not sure on that! LOL

ok... rant over!

Eye Candy said...

I agree with everything you said peta... I don't think they should be publishable at all! I hate templetes with a passion, they just get under my skin.. LOL If they were out when I was new, would I have learned anything probably not. Anyway Thanks for this post..

Anonymous said...

I don't like templates much myself, but I try and participate in all the challenges at PBP and that means giving them a go. I kind of see them as a challenge in a way, ie. how can I make this 'standard' template more my own?!

The fact is, they're the flavour of the month at the minute (how I do not know!), and soon, they probably won't be... :)

As for being published with them, I kinda think if they credit the use of the template, why not?!

DebF said...

giggle - trust our possum to come right out and say what's on her mind ;) don't hold back hun!

I'm having a really hard time with the templates, but I've never been able to use sketches either. I like to be original and pursue this hobby partly for a creative outlet, so sketches (and now templates too) stifle my own definition of creativity to a large extent. (That being said, I love to scraplift to get the creative juices flowing, but would always credit the original artist, and would NOT submit for publication).

I have been wondering about the 'ethics of templates' in regards to original designs - one designer has tagged hers as being 'inspired by' a specific scrapper, but I have been wondering if others have been, but haven't been acknowledged. But then, I've wondered this about some sketches too over the past couple of years. There ARE some incredibly talented, creative and original designers making templates too, I'm sure there are lots of scrappers who are relishing the opportunity to do a Gina or a Corina layout LOL.

If sketch layouts can be published (with credit to the sketch artist) then I think that templates are just the logical progression from sketches - they are really just glorified sketches (especially for peeps who don't have PS or PSE to open layered psd or tif files LOL)

Templates are the current fad, so will probably pass soon enough. I wonder what the next big thing will be? LOL