Disappointed
Okay I have a confession to make - I'm crazy!! - Ohh okay you all already knew that.
I'm a bit disappointed today. It's kind of silly - but hey what's new with that??
To explain I have to tell you this... Last year an Aussie Scrap Mag had a call out for digital layouts, now back then I was just finding my digital feet and getting a good chunck of praise for it - Lots of comments about being the scrapboxx digi queen - which was I admit it, not to bad for the good old ego ROFL. I had people like Julie Love, who I was a big fan of saying that she was a fan of mine!!! Chris Miller *waves to Chris* was also another paper scraper who's work I loved and was so touched that she *embraced* me and my style and gave me so lovely praise. I still get a buz from some of the comments Kim Archer leaves on my work at time - because we all know how awesome her stuff is! BUT - all that pails in the support of the wonderful *regular* people who gave me so much praise and support in something that was a little 'left' of center on a paper forum ;) Of corse it was so much fun sharing all with my digi 'pals' on there - Sandi and Cassie [miss you girls!] ...
where was I? Ohh yes that's right. So I was getting a bit of attention for my work and feeling very proud of myself. So when I saw that my favorite scrapbooking Magazine was having a digital call I *HAD* to get in it.... I would not give in on this - I must of broken their inbox over the period of the call - I ended up submitting over 40 layouts for one call [in Australia they don't really have a limit on the number of layouts you can send] ... I will admit to getting very very very frustrated that I couldn't get ANYTHING in there! Rejecting after rejection - thanks but no thanks letter after another... I kept getting despondent and thinking of 'quitting' the whole thing - but I pushed on.. I really just couldn't give in - that was MY gallery - I LOVED digital scrapbooking and not to be a part of it in my local scene was just heartbreaking.
I even resorted to emailing the mag and asking "what do you want!" LOL - and got the "standard" reply - good photos, good design, something different kind of thing... so I was no more clearer then what I was before I sent the email!! I have to say I don't envy the people who have to wade through all the layouts and pick ones to publish etc..
Now fast forward - around about the same time as last year, what do you know - ANOTHER Digital gallery call in the same mag... Now this time I wasn't going to let it get to me - I wasn't going to throw everything I had at them - I was going to pick a range of layouts that have at different times gotten good reception in the various galleries I post to and that where IMO what they told me in the "What do you want" reply last year...
sadly, It seems like history will repeat itself. No digital gallery appearance by me. Lucky enough this time it doesn't 'bite' as much as it did last year. I am disappointed but no where near what I was last year.
Now because I've always wondered, what are the layouts that do get rejected for a gallery call? - After all we always get to see the ones that are 'accepted' - [and I've seen one that is going into the digital gallery already - WAHOO JODIE!! :)] but you never see the ones that didn't make it... So because I am crazy and because yes I'm disappointed.... I give you my REJECTS lol
While I know it's a mix of reasons why things don't get picked up for publication.. Some of these do have me scratching my head. I mean some of them have gotten VERY good responses in galleries, One has been scraplifted OFTEN - so there is something there that people get inspired by... There are a few very FUNKY ones that are 'innovative' and 'unique'. One I have even won a digital comp with! YES you might notice that some layouts aren't there that could have been sent in [My Beautiful Everyday Layout for one] - but I decided that I wasn't going to submit a few layouts for this - as for one - they are my best ones and I didn't want to get rejected on them!
I love each and every one of those layouts still - I know that this inability to get into one scrap mag's digital gallery isn't a reflection on my talents or creativity. But when it's a gallery that is about something that I have put my heart and soul into every day of the week for over a year now. I can't help but feel disappointed and [hehe] rejected. It would have been nice to be recognised as one of the "Digital" scrapers with in one of Australia's leading Scrapbooking magazines. I'm so happy for the people I know who have gotten into this gallery. So proud of them!! I just wish I could be there with them :)
It's actually interesting to look at all those layouts - I don't really have one set style do I! LOL I am thinking of sending in one final 'shot' at the gallery, with a layout I just did last night and I am happy to say has gotten quite a bit of love in both two pea's gallerys - lately it's been VERY quite over there in the comments areas of both boards for me but I 'cracked' it agian -and haha - went back to what I do well - BLACK layouts :) [useing stuff from Dani Mogstads Cabana boy kit and her stitching star set. Alpha from Jan Crowley]





3 comments:
sometimes you can just be too far ahead of the game... sometimes mags dont know what to do with trend setters.. dont let it get you down. your work is stunning..
I think you should send it in, Peta, it's gorgeous!
Who knows what they want, I guess it all depends on who is looking at the layouts and what they like. I sometimes wonder how an earth some layouts get in magazines!
Anyway, good luck on this submission!
Oh Peta your layouts are so awesome. You have a really good question tho. I think it would be a fun thread to put up at dst - "show us your rejects" roflol. I think you will be surprised if you do! I have had plenty as well - even a whole paper pak roflol. (Sweet Abandon for example.) So hey. Just to make you feel better, I have an opening on my team. Ahem. Email me girl. (I am off to bed so don't expect an immediate response tho! Hehehe.)
Post a Comment