Sunday, April 2, 2006

Paste Eater.

You know what I'm going to come out of my closet and say this.... I HATE [strong a word for me to use I'm loathed to use that word as I don't like using it EVER but it does reflect the truth of my feelings on this matter best] the term Paste Eater.

I hate seeing it used, I would NEVER use it to describe paper scrappers [I am using here as an opening to have my rant and I am using it on myself and no one else!] I flinch when I see it used. But I bite my tongue over it.

To me it's a derogative term. I don't know its origins or how it came about but to me the use of this word seems to be from a digital perspective used to 'laugh/poke fun at/roll eyes at paper scrappers - basically to 'classify' them. And I'll even go more out on the limb to say most times I find it used in a way to put paper scrappers down. I HATE THAT WORD. It does bother me when it gets used.

I know the *reasons* for some of the ways it is used - and although paper scrappers don't have a 'term' so much for digital scrappers - I think that's because to *SOME* paper scrappers see and use the term digital scrapper as a derogative term on it's own. But I guess to some extant I ask myself - are when then any better by in turn calling them 'Paste Eaters'?? If we truly want to be 'accepted' and 'respected' should we be bringing our selves down to such behavior?

The thing I have always loved the most about the digital girls I have had the pleasure to know is that they do, can and will see the beauty and love in a layout no matter what it's made of. I have never heard a digital scrapper express the opinion "I'm not going to comment on that layout because it's paper". In the 'mixed' boards I have been on I have never experienced digital girls just posting to digital layouts.... But YET I have seen this time and time again when it comes to paper scrappers, I have seen it said both verbaly and non-verbaly [you can tell by some's actions - a girl who posts on every layout in the gallery BAR the digital ones is showing this via her non-verbal actions] by paper scrappers that they will not reply to a layout if it's a digital [no matter how GOOD it is and what the subject is].

I love digital girls because they can love any layout - but come on girls can we drop the paste eater remarks??

So with out more ado - here is my BTP from this weekend a cute little heart gift bag just because I wanted to get my hands dirty for a little while.





you can't quite see but there is a 'gem' inside the flower :) and the 'tag' isn't fixed there it does move around [hangs] The top photo is it all closed up - should of taken one open LOL. It's quite cute if I do say so myself :)

7 comments:

Jodie said...

Peta, in total agreeance(is that a real word? lol) with you here. What I don't understand is why we just can't all get along, paper and digi, and appreciate the art in each form. I've never been a paper scrapper but I have seen some amazing work by paper scrappers... just as I have by digi scrappers.
Love the bag by the way... very cute.

Sam said...

Great bag, looks awesome.

Anonymous said...

Great bag. I love making things, getting my hands dirty as much has doing digital. So I suppose I'm both, I know that I appreciate both.

Anonymous said...

You know I'm pretty much in agreement with you about the whole "paste eater" thing. I don't think I've ever used that term and doubt I ever will.

And it's so funny that you mention the whole thing about so many digi girls being able to appreciate paper layouts but the love doesn't usually go both ways. I was thinking about this last night (after reading that whole ACOT post @ 2peas) and that is one reason I love ScrapForums cause even though the majority seem to be paper scrappers...the members don't segregate themselves. Everyone comments on everyone's layouts and everyone just has fun there, KWIM? Anyway...sorry for hijacking your blog. You can have it back now. LMAO

ksharonk said...

Love the purty pink bag ... :)

Anonymous said...

Ya know, as a paper scrapper being called a paste eater doesn't bother me in the slightest. Maybe the tone it is said in might though LOL.

As you know, I'm a huge fan of your scrapping and when I see your work in the gallery I don't look and think "oh that is digi" I think "OMG that is fantastic" then realise it is digi. If I love a layout, I love it and I couldn't care less if it is paper or digi.

You have a unique and really awesome talent and I LOVE seeing your stuff.

Allie (scrappinallie)
thecollyers@ncable.com.au

PS: are ya still looking for pics? I have a couple of goodish ones of myself if you still need/want them.

Allie

Anonymous said...

I'm a paper scrapper who doesn't comment on digi-scraps but that's becuase I don't know anything about them. I don't know how they are made so I don't feel I have any right to comment on them other than "that's nice" which I feel is fairly inane and irrelevant.