Flash Back
Argh sorry if it jumps for you a little it's doing it here but I just *HAVE* to put this up for today.
Soul Asylum's Runaway Train!
I remember 'hanging' out to hear this song. I remember playing it over and over and over. I sung along to it at the top of my voice. It's just one of those songs that always stick with you although I don't think I ever really paid any attention to Soul Asylum themselves - only other thing I could tell you is that Winona Ryder dated the lead singer at the time - and I can't even tell you his name! - I'm a big music trivia buff huh?! ROFL!
Looking at the film clip makes me sad. I wonder if any of the people in the photos have ever been found. I wonder if their families have any sort of peace now. I hope so.
Well my noddle'n went well, we critiqued them in class and it was kind of funny before hand I got asked a few time's "which one was yours?" and as soon as I said 'Barry.' the person would got "ARH!" - In a good way. I loved that because it meant there was something about it that stuck with them that the idea was 're-memorable'. Actually I had one of the guys tell me that he had marked all the ones he liked and would want to read as books with a little * [how on earth do you spell that symbol? - brain fried can't work it out] - and then he even pulled out my copy from his printed pile and sure enough there was a little * in the corner!!
There were a few good points made about my ideas and a few things to think on but over all it wasn't as scary as I thought it could be! And so dear reader - I'll share with you another snippet - but of the story itself [again nothing that gives the game away]
“Crap, that can’t be right.” Jodie stared at the math’s equation in front of her.
“Crap.” She picked up a black niko from the desk and drew a great big x through the page decorating it with tiny little x’s.
“Crap.” She took one last look at the equation before slamming the book shut.
“Who needs algebra anyway?” She looked over the desk at the books surrounding her; she reached out her hand idly fingering her copy of the complete works of Shakespeare. Jodie recited the one verse from a midsummer night dream that she could remember.
“ If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. Gentles, do not reprehend. If you pardon, we will mend. Else the Puck a liar call. And so good night unto you all. Give me your hands, if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends.”
There was a soft knock on the door. Jodie had just enough to time to quickly flipped the page with the crosses over as the door swung open and her mother entered.
“Turn the music down Jodie it’s to loud. How many times must I tell you?” “About as many times as I have to tell you not to barge into my room” Jodie muttered under her breath.
When Jodie made no sign to turn the music down her mother crossed the room and turned it down herself. “Really Jodie how can you study with that rubbish going on around you? I don’t want to hear it up that loud again or I will be taking the stereo with me the next time I have to come in. Do you understand?” “Yeah.” “Good. Now get back to that study. You really can’t afford to be wasting anymore time today.” Jodie’s mum left the room leaving the door open.
“Bitch. What ever you do don’t shut the door on your way out mother.” Jodie walked over to the door and poked her head outside her room. She could hear the sounds of the TV coming down the hall and just make out Max’s slumped form in the arm chair.
“Fly, fly, fly.” Jacob came tearing around the corner of the hall way with no clothes on holding a towel out behind him.
“Fly, fly, fly. Birdie Odie” he squealed as he ran into Jodie’s room.
“Get out”
“Fly, Bride fly.” Jacob ran around the room in circles flicking the towel behind him, he knocked a few of the papers from the desk as he ran past.
“Get out Jacob.”
Jacob jumped up on the bed and bounced in one spot “Not Jacob. Bride Odie.”
“You pee on my bed mister and I’ll give you a flying lesson you’ll never forget. Now get out.” Jodie went to grab Jacob from the bed but he ducked, he flapped the towel at Jodie and ran for the door.
“Odie can’t get me.”
“Yeah and I don’t want to get you either.” Jodie called out as she slammed the door shut. She turned and looked around the room. It was suddenly awfully quite. She looked at the desk and all her books, she almost wished that Jacob was back in the room.
She picked up each piece of paper from the floor and looked at page after page of black x’s. She stared at each looking back over them for a moment then crumpled them up and pushed them up into the back of her desk draw to join the pervious nights collection and the discarded junk food wrappers. As she went to close the draw she slipped her back in and pull out her compass packet. She placed each little ruler out in front of her on the desk. Using the compass she made circles over the black piece of paper in front of her as she hummed along to the song playing on the stereo.
“Don’t believe everything that you breathe”.
She put down the compass and open her science text book.
“So shave your face with some mace in the dark.”
Flicking to chapter 10 she looked through the pages at the diagrams in the book.
“I’m a loser baby, so why don’t you kill me?”
She looked at the image of the women cut in half showing the reproductive system.
“With the rerun shows and the cocaine nose-job”
Her eye’s then moved over to the image of the sperm from the Petri dish, there where little sad faces drawn on them.
“You can’t write if you can’t relate”
She closed the book again.
“And my time is a piece of wax falling on a termite that’s choking on the splinters.”
She picked up the compass holding it upside down she brought the tip towards her face and squinted staring at the point of the compass.
“I’m a driver, I’m a winner; things are gonna change I can feel it”
Jodie pressed the ball of her thumb down onto the compass point.
“I’m a loser baby, so why don’t you kill me?”
Barry slammed his beer down on the bar, he was onto his fifth beer now and had started to reminisce about the good old days with Mitch when suddenly Jodie’s voice cut into his head singing.
“Shit, be back in a minute mate.” He walked to the door of the pub and as he crossed the threshold he appeared in Jodie’s room. “That’s not going to help no one you know.”
Jodie didn’t even flinch she just stuck her thumb into her mouth and sucked on it much the way that Jacob did when he was tired. “Are you drunk Barry? Great that’s all I need a pissed ....................”



1 comment:
oh oh oh I soooooooo wanna read more of your story!!!
Post a Comment