Friday, July 25, 2008

new addiction

For awhile now I've been trying to work out a way to keep up my design work side of things - ie keep my creative brain working.

Last night I stumbled on a pretty interesting site called 99 Designs. The basic idea is people hold 'contests' for their design requirments - be it website, tshirt, logo etc etc - They give a brief on what they are after, and then others submit the designs they have come up with in the hopes of wining the contest (which is a cash prize). The person running the comp can then comment on your design, tell you what they do and don't like - and you can go work on it more and improve etc etc.

I must say there is some really great designs out there!!

I looked around read a few briefs, and got struck with an idea (didn't hurt to much I assure you), so I thought I would have a play. After I finished I decided that I will challenge myself once a week to go through 99 Designs, pick something and try and work out a design for it.

I don't really care if I win or not as working and creating will hone my skills and develop my portfolio more. Learning to read briefs and respond to 'client' feedback will all be very useful.

Plus. I've really liked that I've produced and enjoy the creative process.

Below is the first one I did - the outline given was as follows


Looking for a simple, beautiful logo for my consulting business - something that feels sophisticated, artisanal, fresh and perhaps a bit hand-hewn. I work primarily with luxury California wineries and resorts, but want the logo to evoke a more 'essential' or abstract element - e.g. a spiral, circle or wave - in conjunction with my business name. It should give clients a sense of my creativity AND credibility, and look great on websites and business cards. Thanks! Jean
This was my first attempt:


Imagine my surprise to wake up in the morning and find that Jean had commented and 'rated' my design (the comp holders get to elimante designs and also rate them out of five stars) I got three stars. Not bad in my book for the first thing I had done! She loved the circle, but didn't like the font for the name or the colour...so I tweaked that.

Round two:


This one currently has four stars! - Still not the right font for the name - but liked the brown and green.

Round 3

Totaly bombed on that one haha. Asked to put more colour into - fonts still not quite right.

Round Four


This is my fav - I personaly give it five stars (HAHA) - but alas Jean only gives me 3! - (to cuteish)


So yes. Just thought I would share. I've also done this one for a photography studio - I quite like it but don't think it was/is what they are after.






No comments: