Monday, January 21, 2008

GoMA



Stacy and I headed over to the Gallery of Modern Art on Sunday and no not to go see the Andy Warhol exhibit. The highlights of the day would have to be me getting in to trouble with gallery staff not once - but TWICE!

When we first walked in we where politely 'ambushed' and told that we had to leave our bags at the cloak room. Now I was carrying my camera (in my hand) and had my camera bag over my shoulder. I 'politely' asked if I could keep my bag on me as it had my lenses ... although maybe if you ask Stacy he'll tell you I was less polite, and more rudely shocked, appalled and unwilling to be parted from my bag - the lady kindly let me take my bag with me (I think she was happy to get rid of me!) there was no way on earth I was leaving my bag in some cloak room - I'd have left the gallery all together.

So yes - that was phase one. Phase two was when a nice gallery worker came over and told me that I wasn't allowed to take photos of the pretty yellow wall with all the pink writing on it as that was part of the Andy Warhol exhibit and thus copywrited and not able to be photographed - When I replied "Ohh but I was just taking a photo of the words on the wall not any part of the exhibit, he kindly told me that anything with the Andy Warhol stuff on it was copywrited -even the quotes on the wall so they couldn't be photographed. Pity the shoot I do have of the wall is awesome - I showed it to Stacy tonight and he called me a thief. hehe Stacy also has a sneak shoot of me taking a photo right at the time when I was taking photos of the wall - so he says he even has the proof that I'm a thief!

Another little oddity was that I had my first experience of someone approaching me and asking me about my camera. Stacy and I where out on one of the verandas taking some shoots of a very cool tree when two guys also came out into the same area, they where taking photos with their little point and shoot of each other city in the background. As I was waiting for Stacy to finish up one of the guys came over and asked me "What canon is that one?" I replied that it was the 40d and he asked if that was the newest one and I said "Yes, I just brought it in November." He then asked if it took SD or Compact Flash. I stumbled over this for a few seconds and first said it took SD - but then realised my mistake turned to Stacy and said "It's actually Compact Flash isn't it" and Stacy went "Yes.." ... then that was it the guy went back to his friend and I just was thrown by having someone actually come up and talk to me about my camera....

It's only later that I realised (okay I realised it just now) I think he was actually asking, in the hopes that they could put their SD card from their P&S in my camera and for me to take a photo for them. I really need to get a business card for that type of thing, so if it ever happens again I can just offer to take some photos (wahoo portraiture practice) of people and give them my card to get in contact with me to get the 'prints' afterwards. Guess I will write that on my daily goal's list right after item 67 learn Esperanto (Belinda I hope you where reading all that and didn't miss the RD quote or you will be in trouble missy!!)

Back to the art!!

The photo of the paintbrushes was actually one part of the exhibits at the gallery. I don't know if I would really call them art as 'such' but they where fun to photograph!

Over all GoMA was a bit of a snooze really I didn't leave feeling all creatively charged like I do when leaving other Galleries. It was a pity it was so late in the day (we didn't get there until just before 3) as I would have liked to have checked out the Art Gallery. Next time.



1 comment:

Bel said...

heheheheh I'm reading and I got it :P