Why Vote for me Take Two
Okay so as promised when posting about my charity and why I wanted to win for them - now why I want to win for myself.
You see it actually has to do with my layout for this weeks around also. So firstly let me post that and share with you the journaling on this...Journaling:
When I was younger I dreamed of doing any thing that involved art. I loved to create. but I never found the one thing that would make my soul soar. I tried lots of new things but never stuck with any of them. At the age of 14 I found myself in a photography class, I looked forward to those few short hours every week. The joy and challenged of bringing things to life through photography was so amazing. I dreamed of having my own darkroom and gallerie filled with my beautiful photos. Unfortunately due to our art teacher having a heart attack our classes where cut short. Some of my happiest school memories are those spent in the art class darkroom. After school I tried to get into university to study photography but I wasn't accepted. So I gave up on that dream, I put it in the 'never going to happen' basket and got on with my life. But the dream was sill always there. I think that is why I have loved scrapbooking so much, because it gave me the chance to live the dream a little. As time goes on I'm starting to think more and more of making this dream come true and recently I have been given the chance to work with a professional photographer. I'm going to grab this chance with both hands and see where it takes me. Who knows what will happen maybe I'll one day be a photographer extraordinaire with that gallery full of art word.
So yes. Basically why I want to win is because I would LOVE to own my own camera - yes you are reading right - I don't own a camera!! All the photos you see here are taken with other peoples cameras. I run off with Stacy's camera so often that I think he's beginning to think I love his camera more then I love him. Before Stacy and his wonderfully sexy oylmpus was around {hehe} I use to run off with my parents little point and shot digital camera - or if they where using it I'd steal my sisters camera out of the nappy bag. I LOVE taking photos. My sister to this day swears I have more photos of her children then what she does!! I think she's even given up on taking photos at most family events - she just hands over the camera and lets me go.
Another reason why I do adore taking photos - especially of the girls. Is because you see I have this 'issue' about photos of me as a child.... There are none!! Yet of course there are stacks and stacks - of my brother and my sisters [yes I'm the baby of the family!]. My Dad's camera equipment was stole before I was born so they never really had a camera around to take photos of me - and anyways by that stage the other two had done it all before.
I feel a bit cheated by not knowing what a cute little baby I was, what I looked like as a toddler... When my parents pull out the baby photos of my sister and go "Ohh doesn't that look like Kira/Leah/Tegan/Jenna". I'm not going to be able to do this with my children, as their aren't any photos to compare me with.
Hence why photos are very important to me.
Another example is a bit of a sad tale. You see after Stacy and I broke up, there of course was the dividing of photos. The first time - when I thought that it was only temporary and we'd get back together, I let Stacy keep some of the photos - that if I had of known what I knew a few short months later I would never have let him keep - photos of the girls, photos of us, photos of me. One night after everything had come to light and it was the 'end' I sat on the phone trying to sort everything out. I was lonely and sad and just couldn't believe it. At the time I was talking to my best friend and leaning on him, which was very hard when he was the one that was responsible for my pain. Anyways at some point the photos came up and Stacy started to go through them he would say something about the photo and I would go oh yes that's that one - I'm wearing x and this is happening .... I knew all the details of each photo as if I was looking at them there and then. I remember at one stage Stacy stopped and said "okay you are officially freaking me out now." - What can I say I love photos and had looked at them all often.
I want to win so I can have my own camera, not really on anyone else to let me have theirs. I want to be able to feel like taking a photo of something and being able to do it. Not have to wait till I can get a loan of someone's camera or be worried about actually taking someone else camera out into the city to take photos, because if I lose it or break it then I can't replace it... and if it was my own then the only person I'm effecting would be me - not Stacy not my parents.
Recently at Jenna's christening her God Father Rick- who is a professional photographer handed my his second camera [a cannon] with the biggest lense I have ever seen and asked me to take some photos of the christening for him as he would be busy. My sister had been talking to him about the fact I always ran off with her camera and I think he thought I would know what I was doing [haha - umm yeah NOT!]
I had a ball running around the church 'playing' photographer feeling all very professional with my super big camera and it's big lens. Although I was partly freaking out because I had no idea what I was doing and was so worried about disappointing Rick with crapy blury photos as he had expectations of something that I might not be able to deliver on - after all hello he's a professional!!!
Yes - some of the photos sucked. I learnt how to delete while in the church so the really bad ones where taken care of before the camera went back to Rick. But some of them where quite good. At the party afterwards Rick had a look at some of the photos and said that I actually had a rather steady hand for the speeds that some of the photos where taken at.
A few weeks ago I contacted Rick to see if he wanted a website done up as I needed a client for tafe and thought he's site would be perfect to do. He said yes and while having my first meeting at his place to go over with him and his lovely wife Megan what they would want for the website. We also dusted off the christening photos and Rick mentioned that if I was interested he'd be willing to teach me some photography skills. [as it turns out my sister had been in Ricks ear about the fact that I would make a great photography assistant and that I wanted to do something like that!]
This brings me back to why I want to win. Here I have a chance to maybe learn some new skills and follow a dream I had a very long time ago. This door has opened up and the only thing that [other then the fact that I don't drive and am scared shite less] is that I don't have a camera of my own that I could work/practice with. Sure Rick said that it would be no problem for me to use his second camera - but again we come back to the being responsible for someone else stuff..... I think that would hold me back a little.
So yes, with the prize money what I would do is buy myself a digital SLR - maybe not the Cannon - but there is a nice little pentax on sale right now that would do.....
Okay enough of the waffle.... VOTE FOR ME please




3 comments:
I always say that a dream without a plan is just a fantasy.
You have a plan Peta and I wish you the very best of luck with your dream. I have voted for you. Hope you win your dream.
I have voted for you too. I really hope you get your camera as I would LOVE to see what you could do with it!
Peta! You are strikingly honest..and your words are so heartfelt. I would LOVE to see you win!!!
Post a Comment