Thursday, February 1, 2007

Anyone else?

A fan of the Dune Books by Frank Herbert? I wouldn't say I'm as much of a fan as the rest of my family, but I love the movies [the old one and the new ones] I have read some of the books, but not the newer ones ie house attradies, house harkone etc. My sister, borther and Fater all swap these around and have read everyone, I must admit I only ever read the books becasue I wanted to know what they where talking about when it would come up in conversation.

It always makes we wonder with those kinds of books what kind of mind the person who wrote them must have had to create such fictional words...

I admit, there are things from the movie that have always stuck with me. One stage I wanted to call my daughter Alia after Paul's sister.

Now why I'm talking about this. The latest amazing race layout is to scrap a layout all about me that deals with what I would tell a younger version of me.... the first throught that came to mind was the FEAR thing... not to fear so much to just throw caution to the wind and do it. I held back to often out of fear....

The thing is, also when ever I think of fear, I can't help but say the litany about Fear from Dune. Although I never really remember the whole thing just the first two lines "I must not fear, fear. Fear is the mind-killer, fear is the little death...

that's what will go through my head.

So it only seemed fitting that when doing my layout I included the litany as well. Maybe one of the 'strangest' quotes I have ever put on a layout yet LOL.

It also made me curious to how many people would actually *know*/*get* where the quote is from.... ??

Anyways - here is the layout!

[credits]

oh and for those who want to know the full quote goes like this...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got it! I'm new to scrapbooking (and blogs for that matter!) but I know Dune from way back before they ever made the movies - read all the Frank Herbert originals but not the next generation.
And I'm the same, whenever I feel afraid, my first inclination is never to 'whistle a happy tune' - but I 'hear' the litany and it's amazing how calming it is. I've never seen it quoted anywhere and would never have expected to see it in a scrap layout - but just wanted to say yours is really cool.