Sunday, April 23, 2006

two peas not in a pod.

Okay - see that tree branch over there I'm about to go jump on it...

This is something that I have found very 'interesting' over at two peas of late. As some of you will know [and some of you won't] There is a digital gallery - and the main gallery at two peas. Now if you put anything in the digital gallery it isn't going to show up in the main gallery. Now there are some that don't know there is a digital gallery - or even just prefer to post their digital layouts in the main gallery, there are some that just post their digital layouts in the digital gallery and then there are the ones like me - who post in both.

I have only just started to do this. I never really thought about putting stuff up in the main gallery. Most likely becasue I didn't think digital stuff would get all that much attention out there as after all we had our own little gallery.

NOW - bit of back history. When I first started to go digital, I got talking to a paper scrapper at a meet up I went to and she said one of the things that drove her crazy about digital was seeing stuff that she wanted to 'have' for her paper layouts but couldn't because it was digital [at this stage I was to new to do the whole 'but you can print - and give e, y and z examples] there was also the statements made about people not putting in that stuff was digital and so she would think something was 'buyable' [i refuse to use the word real here but that's what was actually stated] and so when she'd find out it was digital she'd be 'disapointed'.

Now I've seen claims on boards that you can tell digital layouts easily. I've read so much stuff on this topic and yada yada yada [hehe and I've made a few myself]

I'm not going to get into a "paper vs digital" debate here.

Recently I have noticed that there are a few other pea's like me who post both in the main gallery and the digital gallery... When I post my layouts into the main gallery I basicly just copy and paste my discription from the digital gallery upload - credits and all! Now the thing is with these other pea's I have noticed that they do NOT put in the credits - there is no real way to mark them as a digital layout.

I don't know but to me there seems to be something fishy about that.

If you are going to put in the credits in one section - why not the other? After all if you are giving credits where credits are due then shouldn't you keep that to all layouts? After all you are posting credits for a reason aren't you? Does that reason no longer exist when it's put up in the general gallery?

I don't know but to me it does seem very odd - I mean all someone has to do is go look in your personal gallery and see the layout twice, click on the second one and see that it *is* a digital.

I know in the past there has been comments made in threads about people not posting comments to a layout because it's digital etc etc - I know there is some pretty mean spirted people out there who will never *get it* But doesn't trying to 'trick' people only lead to more disharomony? Shouldn't it just be yelled from the top of the roof - this layout is digital and it looks fantatstic. Shouldn't we be standing up and showing just how amazeing digital can be?

ARGH it just seems very very odd to me. And I know that digitals DO and WILL get commneted on in the normal gallery - after all my highest ever commented on layout was in the Pea's main gallery [27 commens -686 views] and it had all the credit details in it!

so anyways- new layout


{credits: Gina Cabrera's luck star kit free from www.simplescrapbooks.com [as part of the uncoming digital scrappbooking mag issue - YAY] Fonts: BaselBook and dear joe 4 }

And in other news - I did a google on my name just for fun and how cool is this....Scrapbooking Creations Project Gallery had no idea it was up there [scroll right to the bottom]. I'm famous - haha!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats just dumb!
If there is something that catches your eye enough to click and look at it then it shouldnt matter if its digital or paper - credit where credit is due!!!!

For me its the paper and glue obsession - you know goes nuts in a stationary or art shop [hmmm helps to work in one] and its a textile fiddly thing.

That does not stop me looking at and appreciating what people have created digitally and still loving what they too have done!

Its about the creation NOT how the damn work was done.
Who cares - if it is brilliant [and lets face it the photographs are still the pivotal point] then take the time and give credit to the person who created it.

DebF said...

hhhmmmm
it would make an interesting experiment to see if there really IS a section of the 2Peas community that would truly REFUSE to comment on a layout because it was digital. personally, I just post to the digital gallery, not looking for comments, so never even considered posting to the 'other' gallery to get more. And I probably only care for the comments and appreciation of other digis, as they know what is involved. Not trying to convert anyone, nor trick anyone. Don't know why you wouldn't list the credits in the 'other' gallery, unless it is a widespread fault with that gallery as a whole (do people list all the credits on their paper layouts?) - listing credits is actually PITA!

Peta said...

LOL Deb that's what I mean - it is a PITA to do the credits so why leave them off if you have gone to so much trouble to put them in for the digital gallery?

And nope you don't offten find people posting paper layouts with a list of materials - but the thing with that is unlike digi you can get paper materials ANYWHERE. Digi's are just at one set spot, so harder to find and by giving the designers name you're able to find out where you two can buy it from IYKWIM.

There is a lot of differences in the systems - but the layouts are still the same.

I don't post in the other gallery for comments - well not totaly - hehe - but more to say 'look digital is just another art form' and I think the more people see it the more they will appericate it for 'just another layout'.

I use to think the same - I'd rather get priase from fellow digi's but then I've also started to think that I don't want to hide my stuff away from the main stream either. - so I do both. I'd love if they could all just be comined and then go into little sections if you wanted to go and see set layouts. IYKWIM