Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Share Bear - Venting Bear - Out with it Bear

Okay anyone who knows me - reads my blog - reads my posts - has had the misfortune of sitting next to me on a bus [rofl] will know without a doubt in their mind that I am a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY passionate about my 'craft' .. and that comments such as "Digi is fun, cheap and quick and that's great if all you want to do is play with a PC and preserve your memories. But if you're in the scrapping for the *creative* aspect just as much as the preservation aspect - real/traditional scrapping is the way to go" - REALLY PI$$ me off!! - makes digital sound like a toy you get in one of those $2 shops - and yes while the person I have quoted may have been stating their own opinion - my opinion is I have issues with that opinion... Don't EVER tell me that what I do is just playing on a pc and not creative. I mean I'd never tell anyone that just cutting out some paper and putting them on a piece of card with some photos isn't creative and I know people who would get pi$$ off if you made that kind of comment - and funny enough - from the same kind of people where the above quote is from - don't you just love it when people with double standards! [let me just state here this quote is an old one and I have no issue with the person who's opinion it is - just the general opinion in itself IYKWIM]

There is also one word that I really really hate when it comes to digital - that whole REAL word and the I can't believe it's not butter attitude ie what I call the "I can't believe it's not real" comments. While for the most part you can understand where the person is coming from and that it's meant in an offensive way [and I never actually do take offense to them] .... It's only when you see the ones that ARE meant to be offensive ... [then I take REAL offense! ;)]. The way I look at it if you're saying you can't believe it's not real then that must mean it's 'unreal' and digital certainly IS real. That is really my blood, sweat, tears and ME on all those pages you see below - they are REAL.

I know these are all past things - but I read a post that spurred me for the very first time to be a little more 'real' here - I normally wouldn't have gone so far to quote the quote and tell you my opinion on that opinion - because I did write about it time and time again - even hinted around it a few times but never came out and SAID it. So - I'm sharing, I'm venting and I'm just plain old coming out with it - keeping it 'real' [ROFLMAO!! - Rachie I totally blame you for that post about being Real!!]

Maybe it's to do with a big change that has gone on in my life over the last week - putting a lot of past hurts behind me... I wanted to post about the above comment time and time again but a lot of 'personal' stuff was mixed in with it - feelings towards people and I knew that the post would more be about my anger over that stuff then just the 'general' opinion ... but now. I can honestly say that it's not about the 'people' responsible - it's about the views, the opinions and just the gernalities of it all - I know it's not making much sense is it - maybe this way is better to explain it - I'm not posting to attack the people involved - I'm posting to vent my frustrations about opinions - and my vent now would be the same no matter who had said it, not clouded by personal issues...

ANYWAYS - gosh this wasn't meant to be a marathon post. I guess I just had to get this one out to move on too, as this week has been big on the getting out with it's and building bridges kind of stuff....

What brought this out in me was reading a post on Michelle's Scrapbility blog just now... Gosh I love the way this girl puts it out there. Her post says pretty much everything I would ever want to say in regards to the views that some have on digital scrapping ... the whole it's cheap, quick and easy - the it's not real scrapping - the negative digital perceptions - So if you want to read something from someone a LOT More level headed then me and a lot less 'ventish' - Check it out it is well worth the read - no matter what way you are keeping it 'real' if it's by paper or by pixels!

The Digital Darkside

and what's a post with out a layout. I created this last night, the heart and hands are two different pictures. This is more 'Graphic' design then an actual layout - ALTHOUGH It will be printed and put into a scrapbook so I *guess* that is the true definition of scrapbooking - if it goes in a scrapbook - it's scrapbooking! RIGHT? LOL I'm not 100% if this is a part of my little black book but I think it MAY end up there...




{credits: I used photos from stock exchange for the heart and hands - heart is by a photographer named Marinka van Holten and the hands are from a photographer named Jesper Noe. I also used brushes from Michelle Colleman's at www.scrapartist.com}

Love ya all - Peace out

[rofl]

8 comments:

ksharonk said...

Oh, oh, oh ... I LOVE this layout ... verrry striking, the red and the black ... and it looks so R*E*A*L! ... *ducking for cover* ... I feel your pain, I feel as real as the next paper scrapper, and as a digiscrapper I'm much faster, and better imho than I used to be, and certainly finding it much more fun than the paper stuff ... peace to you too!!!:)

Anonymous said...

That's why I love ya girl! You're so real ;)

Love the layout, gorgeous...perfection.

Sharee Mortensen said...

Oh no I have often commented in the "I can't believe it is real" category - Sorry Peta, I certainly never mean it in an offensive way but the intention is more of awestruckedness (is that a word?) at what people can do with a puter. I think there shouldn't be a paper vs digi scrappin problem, I am totally paper - prob cos I can't use a puter well - and I love what the digi scrappers are doing, it is hugely creative and inspiring and I wish I was as clever. To me it is like saying a novel isn't a novel if it is written on a pc rather than by long hand - it is all about the creation baby!!

Nuf said. Loving the LO, the photo is awesome and I'd put it in my album! Isn't scrappin basically creatively presenting photos and words together? Well that's how I describe it anyhoo. Luv ya work :)

Lisa said...

Beautiful LO!! No matter how "arty" it is, its still scrapping to me!! Scrapping IS an art after all ;)

hmm the thing that irks me is when paper scrappers try their hand at digi and after their first LO remark "oooh this digi stuff is SO EASY" when all they have done is drag bits of the kit in and added a photo and some text!!! I dont know why they have to "compare" in the 1st place.... There is a HUGE difference between paper scrapping and digi scrapping.. different skills, different techniques and VASTLY different products... The only similar thing is the end propduct!
Oh dear.. Now look what you've done to me!!! ROTFL Better hit "publish" now before my comment ends up being longer than your blog post!!!! LMAO

Dianne said...

LOVE the layout Peta - really striking. I would like to add my "2 cents" about the whole paper versus digi scrapping saga. I am "biscraptual" (LOL - funny word). I paper scrapped for 5 years before trying digi and I love both mediums. I understand why ppl always compare the two - it's two totally different mediums using different products..right? What saddens me is that ppl have forgotten what scrapbooking is all about - it's not a competition, it's not for the recognition (although been complimented on one's work is cool), it's not about who is using the latest and greatest and trendiest method or product on the market...it's about the memories that we are preserving. It's about recording our daily lives and things our kids/ourselves or our families have achieved so that our kids will one day be able to show their kids one day what our world looked like and what they wore and what they did together. (Heck, sorry, this post is very long). All of the above is just my own opinion.

Jodie said...

Well I agree with Diane, its not really about how you do it.. but rather about why you do it. Paper or Digi, both can be considered art, both have pros and cons, both are a means of recording and preserving memories from our daily lives. Does it really matter HOW you do that. But thats just my humble opinion... and I have never paper scrapper so maybe I don't really know what I am talking about LOL.
You really have fired everyone up this afternoon. Peace to you too!

Love the Layout... print it out for your "real" album. Sorry couldn't resist the real comment roflol

Dianne said...

OOPSS..sorry, that was meant to read.."I DONT understand why ppl are always comparing the two.. "

Peta said...

LOL - totaly got what you meant Dianne. And I agree with you on the whole thing that people do lose sight of what it's all about and caught up in the what it's made of not the what it is about kind of thing. I'm both paper and digital - but my passion is digital. I guess where this stemmed from is the fact that I would NEVER Dis paper scrappers for what they do - I'd never claim it isn't creative or that it's quick easy or what ever and being in paper enviroments I KNOW it would not be stood for - and yet these same people trun around and say digital isn't creative or 'real' - the ironny of it isn't lost on me [but seems to be on them].

It just annoys me when people have to put what it's made of before what it's about - you know the type that won't comment on a digital layout just because it's a digital layout. That kind of attitude really just 'gets my goat'

Anyways - I love what Michelle wrote on it all puts it all into words that just fail me. I get mixed up in 'ranting' about it ROFL and talking myself around in circles!

Sharee hon - you're comments would never be considered offensive to me as I know that is the way in which you mean it the "Impressed" and not as 'put down'. I have seen comments on 'mixed' gallerys that actually 'put' digital papers down under the umbrella of praise and it's just not nice. The kind of comments that you can read and know that the writer is commenting in a way that they think digital is second 'rate' "ohh I woudln't normaly comment on digital scrappages becasue I prefer real scrappbooking pagpes, but I really liked your journaling on this" .... why the person can't just say they like your journaling and that's it is beyond me...