Friday, December 9, 2005

What it Means to be a DTM/CTM
Something that has always been of interest to me is what it means to be a design/creative team memeber. Is it just about getting free kits to make layouts then just posting them and that's it?
It would seem in some regards it is... I've come accross this in some of the teams I've been a part of - and I'm not saying it's a bad thing .... because hey they are doing there work aren't they and showing off the designers work :)
But for me personaly. I find it's something so different. I can't just do my layouts/requirments and that's it. Sometimes I wish I could... I noticed it more this week with getting on the SweetnSassy team. I jumped in and just went crazy and admit to being pretty full on at times. I just can't sit back LOL.
I have always thought that teams where such a big investment for the Designers - that they take such a risk in giving their stuff free to Team members in return for them just makeing kits...
I've began to realise though that it can be just as big of a risk/investment on the creative team members part ... as it can take a lot of work to be a part of a team and certainly isn't just about getting free kits and makeing layouts... For me personaly - while I love the rewards of the great layouts I get out of it all - It's also about makeing sure that the designer is getting the right exposure, that I'm doing my best to make sure their dream works too...
So to me it's a lot more then just doing the 'requirments' ... and a little to do with Pimping and a HELL of a lot to do with meeting BOTH the needs of the designer and myself - after it's a pretty strong, important and depandant relationship isn't it? The designer makes good kits which in turnes means the creative team makes good layouts to show off just how good the kits are - and in the mean time also show off how good they are a creating their layouts too! ....
Okay enough of this dribble - I need food!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peta, I agree with you completely and feel the exact same way about the teams I belong to. I want VERY much for my work to benefit the designers. It's very important to me that I work hard for them and make sure they know I'm invested in their dream beyond just getting free stuff. Great post!

Cassandra said...

Which is why I love the dt's I am /was on.... as soon as they start getting impersonal, I start losing my inspiration. I only want to do my best for people, not corporations or images etc...

Funny, huh!

Anonymous said...

Peta you are a wonderful design team member. Not only do you do beautiful layouts but you are a inviting as well, helping to make people feel comfortable and part of the team.

Anonymous said...

Peta...can I just say YOU ROCK! You have such a great outlook on things!

Anonymous said...

wtg Peta - You "hit the nail on the head" - translates to "thats so true!"