Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sucker - or Kind hearted soul?

Okay I have to post about this as I was going to the other day but totally forgot.

Siting at the bus stop the other day (Friday) waiting for the bus to come. I noticed a guy walking down the line of seats, stopping and asking if anyone could spare $2 as he needed it for his bus fair to get home. Now he wasn't your typical looking 'bum' he reasonably well dressed... okay he looked like a bit of a yobbo in his Brisbane Bronco's Jersey - but hey that's nothing to hold against the man! So person after person all seemed unable to spare $2. I was pretty impressed that he kept trying. So when he finally get to me and asked.. I pulled out my wallet and handed over $2.

I sat there thinking how awful it is that we no longer help each other out. I sat there thinking about the other times I've been willing to part with a few dollars when asked and yes I've been caught out by professional scamers in the past. One time I was stopped by a young girl in the city who 'desperately' needed $4 to get home ... I kindly gave her the money and walked away, a little bit later I walked back the same way to find her 'scamming' someone else with the same story. I was pissed but at the end of the day I thought to myself. While it sucked to be taken for a ride on the other hand, if she had of really been some poor kid stuck in the city without the means to get home and I had of brushed her off and said no... then does that really make me a better person?

So anyway. Today siting at the same bus stop, who should walk by and ask the fellow a few seats down for $2. Yep the same "BUM" (yes he's now a bum even though he doesn't look like one!) He actually didn't ask me this time (he tends to ask every second/third person) ... The guy he asked said no and the Bum moved on to another platform. I said to the lady beside me "He was actually asking the same thing the other day and I actually gave him the $2."

To which the lady beside me replied " I never give them money"

That actually kind of bothered me. I thought again it was a sad reflection on the way things are today.

I turned to her and said "I always given them money, because it's not a lot and one day someone is genuinely going to need it. I'd hate for someone to be stuck with out anyway to get home. It happened to me once as a child, and I'm thankful that people where so generous when I needed them to be."

Of course I would not give the guy another $2 if he asked me. Because then I am being a sucker. I will just point out to him "Mate I gave you $2 the last time you asked. Don't you think you should make sure you have money for the bus before leaving the house?!"

*************************

In other news.

So time to let the cat out of the bag. I've had a pretty full on month already. A lot of changes have gone on.

First things first. I'm not working anymore. Completely, Totally and Utterly.

I had to stop working full time as I just couldn't physically do the job. I'm still so frustrated by this as I really did enjoy the typseting/graphic design part of my job and I wish that was what the job had of been for the most part of the day. But unfortantely it was only a very small part, the other parts had me up on my feet working on the prep tables, over with the copiers and printers. I was on my feet alot! So this wasn't very good for my ankle. If it had of been just a few hours here and there, or one full day, then it would have been 'okay' but a full working week I just couldn't do no matter how much I wanted to (and it took me about a week to finally give in haha).

Unfortantely I've also hurt my foot in the process. I had to take two days off at one stage as I was having so much trouble walking. I even had to cancel going out that weekend to assist at a wedding as a second shooter. Which disappointed me no end.

My foot is still not 100% which is kind of stress full at the moment. I'm still limping around and finding that I can't do what I could a month ago. So it's off to the Dr's and most likely off to the Physo and off to the Podiatrists. I'm hoping that after taking it easy for a week it will have recovered some what and at least now with taking the work part of it all out of my day it's manageable.

So yes. Back to the unemployment lines with me! *YIPPIE* (said with a lot of sarcasm)

Some of you might be there looking at me a bit funny going 'But Peta, aren't you teaching?! It's not all bad right?!"

Well no it's not all bad. But I'm not teaching anymore.

As of last week my contract with Point Shoot Play has come to an end. So I'm not working weekends running like crazy from one side of Brisbane to another anymore. I'm sad not to be teaching the classes anymore as I did enjoy them and meeting all the wonderful ladies that I have. I'm not sure currently if I will be at the June show, we're still sorting that out. I hope to be there but if not, sorry to anyone who was coming to see me or who has booked in thinking that I was going to be there in the class. (not that I really think anyone had lol because after all who am I again?! haha)

So now with all my weekends free I'm going to be focused a lot more on working to get my skills and experience up with my photography. I have tfp shoots coming out the wazoba. (tfp=time for print) and I'm really looking forward to being able to possible do more assistant jobs and getting to work with other photographers which I couldn't do previously as i was always working (totally, utterly and completely haha)

While things sound a little doom and gloom at the moment. It's not really. I've got so many things spinning around me at the moment, so many plans, so many things to now devote time to. It's rather exciting actually, as they always say, one door closes another one opens.

Okay lightroom has finished exporting all my photos from the Shoot I did the other weekend.. which I don't think I've shared any images with you guys here... so before I run off. This is a photo from my first Modeling shoot (to which I organised everything and was on my own for!) I had a make-up artist also on the day which was great and I love her work! and I'll be working with her again soon I'm sure. I also really love the model I worked with as she's been someone who's photos/portfolio I have been looking at for a few months now. It was a great day and I had so much fun. We have another shoot planned already. Can't wait. And it's all a good learning experience!






4 comments:

Jodie said...

Awesome photo, sorry to hear about your foot... hope you are taking care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Aww no! I'm sorry about your foot and the job :(
SOunds like things are still moving along though, how exciting your own shoot! :D

Sara Pearcy said...

I do like that photo. I will miss working with you (on the odd occassion our paths crossed whilst working - lol), but onward and upward from here! I'm just looking forward to seeing what you do at your many shoots coming up!

Bel said...

Finally an update!??!!

Dont you ever answer your texts? or can't you answer because you're unemployed and have no money.

Beautiful pics. I'm so glad you are happy-ish and now we can catch up more often.

Bel.